Thursday, August 15, 2024

Inclement skies for the ninth ALA Climb


Three years of beautiful May Saturday came to a crashing halt for the 2024 American Lung Association Fight for Air Climb in Denver. 

That makes nine. 
The stormy weather arrived Friday night, as sheets of rain came off the dark clouds that cruised out of the mountains. Hail dropped irregularly. For the previous four climbs, I contemplated staying in Denver. But this time I had no choice. I decided to stay in Denver to avoid the long drive in Saturday morning’s weather. 

The rain pelted South Metro Denver all night. It came with the same fury in the morning and would not slow at all by the time the first climbers started. For the three previous Climbs, the weather was perfect – temperate, sunny and with a spring mountain chill to keep everyone comfortable. 

Today would prove challenging – I even noted that in my last appeal for fundraising on Friday night, bringing a few extra dollars in for the ALA. 

I planned to complete the climb in my normal exercise clothes. I expected to get soaked. As I pulled up, the plan changed – seeing runners in rain ponchos reminded me of the one that had sat in my car since 2017. Most of me would stay dry. 

I waited patiently for my 9:55 start time. Groups embarked up the Coors Field stairs. A handful of people trickled past with their finisher medals. Around 9:30, the rain drops slowly turned into snow. I had no fears of the climb course turning to ice, but I knew it would be a slog. 

The race organizer asked what my time was, then told me to go ahead and start. Every step was wet. Some felt wetter than others, as water pooled at drains in the lower bowl’s first row. There was no way to avoid them. 

I caught my breath and moved briskly to the car as the wet, heavy snow, collected on roofs and cars. The event tents were in various stages of disassembly. They got all the climbers through and decided to close shop. No one blamed them. Colorado weather chose to turn ugly for a few days as it often does in spring. 

Warming up the car and bracing for a perilous ride home, I hoped this weather would prove an anomaly when the 2025 Climb – my tenth attempt - arrives on the calendar.

Prove I used the express lanes. Really. 

No comments: