Thursday, June 12, 2014

The ambiguous glory of old photos

The hosts invites you. Without an introduction, have a seat in the corner and silently sip a beer. Watch life unfold as a spectator.

When an unexpected photo from the past sweeps in front of us, we enter long-ended festivities. Photographs of those familiar and comfortable to us can throw up the windows of the past. Thanks to the reams of information and pictures constantly thrust in our faces through social media, we never know when unknown moments of the past might come due.

The older we get, the more powerful photos become. Photos of our grandparents don’t have the same resonance because most people never remember them till they are already old. But I remember my parents at a younger age, so it's always a mild shock to see them youthful and unburdened by the world's weight.

This shot of my Dad It’s a mystifying moment. Dad stares at a young boy, likely the man who posted the photo on Facebook. Neither of them are smiling although Dad wears an expression that could slide from laughter to anger in a twitch of muscle. His mustache has deeper handlebars than what I saw before.

Were that mustache a little less shaggy, a smile might be present. But I cannot wash away the early Seventies styles embedded in this shot. The beer can in Dad’s hand also has the time’s distinctive look.

He could even be the victor in a recently concluded staring contest with the toddler who now stares away from him. In better light, a plush bear sits at my dad’s feet. Did the boy throw it down or come to retrieve it after depositing it there earlier? The conversation that accompanied the picture on social media solved nothing. None of the parties involved remembered the occasion, much less which child stood next to my dad. I can stand the mystery.

Sometimes, I just enjoy glimpses into the everyday past, the moments worthy of the camera but not committed to memory. It’s too late to participate, so I can just sip my beer and survey clues of the past.

But sometimes it doesn't take the memory of someone in the room to remove the ambiguity.
I sent the photo to my mom and uncovered this: I never remember seeing this pic.  However, I know exactly when it was taken 35 yrs ago.  When I had Joe, you stayed with Betty and her kids during the day while I was at the hospital.  This pic was probably taken when Dad came to pick you up after work.  It's a real nice pic.  Of course, Dad is relaxing with his beer!  I think you both headed to the hospital afterwards, as I seem to remember a pic of you wearing that outfit.  Even 35 yrs ago, they had a room to bring your other kids to see the new baby.  

So the kid in the photo was me. No, I don't remember what I was thinking or doing.It does not do good things to the psyche to realize I could not recognize my much younger self. My Mom still seems amazed that I could not see who that boy was. So I am, but for much different reasons.

No comments: